If you are planning to travel outside the UK, you may need to be vaccinated against some of the serious diseases found in other parts of the world. In the UK, the childhood vaccination programme protects you against a number of diseases, but doesn’t cover most of the infectious diseases found overseas.
Which Jabs Do I Need?
You can find out which vaccinations are necessary or recommended for the area you are visiting on the following websites:
NHS Fit for Travel - www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk
Travel Health Pro - www.travelhealthpro.org.uk
Where Do I Get My Jabs?
You should get advice at least eight weeks before you are due to travel, as some vaccinations need to be given well in advance.
At the Surgery we only offer the following vaccinations in line with NHS guidance, which are free of charge:
- Diphtheria, Polio & Tetanus (combined booster)
- Hepatitis A
Please Note: These are the ONLY travel vaccinations we provide. If you need Hepatitis B, Japanese Encephalitis, Malaria, Meningitis, Rabies, Tuberculosis or Yellow Fever, you will need to visit a private travel clinic and pay for these vaccinations. Details of local private clinics can be found further down the page.
Speak To A GP Before Having Vacinations If:
You are pregnant or breastfeeding. It is unlikely a vaccine given whilst pregnant or breastfeeding will cause problems for the baby, but your GP will be able to advise.
You have a condition which affects your immune system , are receiving chemotherapy, or if you have recently had a bone marrow or organ transplant. In some cases vaccination may not be advised. Your GP will be able to advise.
How Do I Get My Jabs?
Please download and complete the Travel Assessment Form, one form per person. Once complete, return the completed form(s) to the Surgery marked for the attention of the Practice Nurse. The Nurse will review the information you have provided and we will then contact you to book your travel appointment. The vaccines will then be ordered specially for you.
Travel appointments are only offered on the 1st Tuesday of every month between 4.00 pm and 5.00 pm, and the 3rd Wednesday of every month between 5.00 pm and 6.00 pm.
Please Note The Following:
- Travel appointments are only offered on the days/time stated above. We are unable to provide travel advice at any other time in a routine Practice Nurse appointment. If you are unable to attend the Surgery on those days/times you will need to make alternative arrangements to received your vaccinations.
- Your travel appointment can only be booked once we have received your completed Assessment Form. We will contact you to book - you cannot pre-book an appointment via Reception or on the telephone.
- We are only able to offer those vaccinations as listed. If you need any other vaccinations it is your responsibility to arrange these with one of the local private clinics listed below.
- Whilst these vaccinations are offered free of charge to patients on the NHS, the cost of receiving these privately is in the region of £200.00. If you do not attend for your pre-booked travel appointment we regret we will be unable to offer you a further appointment and you will need to contact another clinic to receive and pay for your vaccinations.
If you require a print out of your vaccination history to take to any travel clinic appointment please ask a member of the Reception Staff who will be happy to provide you with this.
Details Of Local Private Travel Clinics
Please note: Yellow Fever vaccinations can only be administered by a designated Yellow Fever Centre
Working Well NHS
Gloucestershire Royal Hospital, Great Western Road, Gloucester, GL1 3NN. Tel: 01452 894480 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
For 16 years and above only. Yellow Fever Centre
Forest Health Care - FOR YELLOW FEVER ONLY
Dockham Road, Cinderford, Glos, GL14 2AN. Tel: 01594 820010
Cheltenham Road Surgery
16 Cheltenham Road, Gloucester, GL2 0LS.
Enquiries Tel: 01452 522709 Appts Tel: 01452 522575
Yellow Fever Centre
17 Moorend Park Road, Cheltenham, GL53 0LA. Tel: 01242 539080
Yellow Fever Centre
Pavillion Travel Clinic
153a Stroud Road, Gloucester, GL1 5JJ. Tel: 01452 876150
Day Lewis Pharmacy
2 Sear House, Ledbury, Herefordshire, HR8 2AA. Tel: 0330 100 4200
Book online at www.masta-travel-health.com
Nomad Travel Clinic
33 Park Street, Bristol, BS1 5JG. Tel: 01341 555061
Book online at www.nomadtravel.co.uk